April 17, 2015

Ode to Eric Church

I wish to dedicate this week’s CMF to Eric Church, in follow up to the concert I was lucky enough to attend this past Tuesday (or Chooseday, as many of you know I like to call it… I chose to go to the Church concert, in case you were wondering).

Eric Church is what I like to call Rock & Roll Country. It’s a little bit louder and a little bit edgier. There was a drummer, four guitarists, and the wonderful Joanna Cotten (decked out head to toe in leather) on stage with him and all seven of them were just loving life and it was glorious.

Anyways, welcome to my Ode to Eric Church.

The First: Guys Like Me by Eric Church


Look at this young fella with his long almost-Blake-Shelton-circa-2004-style locks. And…incredible… you can see his eyes!  Who knew they still existed under those aviators? Not I, that’s for sure. Not I.


The Second: How ‘Bout You by Eric Church (again)



Gosh this guy is cool. Oh, wait, you thought I meant Mr. Church? No, I was referring to the gent with the overwhelmingly invasive moustache featured at 1:35… I kid, I kid. I do mean my good friend, Eric. He is the coolest of them all.


The Third and Final: These Boots by Eric Church (shocking!)


Okay. I love this song. It’s just good, you know? Additionally, please allow me to gush about how incredible his voice is, because it was so evident with this particular song. In fact, I would argue that his voice is better live than any of the recordings you may have heard here today. Wonderfully rough and intense and loud and perfectly matches the lyrics he’s singing.

Bonus: I told Teri, my lovely Vancouver country music concert-going buddy, that I would consider adding in her selections to this Eric Church issue of Country Music Friday. Since she both drove AND put up with the flailing I like to call dancing, here is a bonus for you, courtesy of Teri: What I Almost Was (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ74kO22m1M).

Thanks for listening!
Karla

No comments:

Post a Comment