May 20, 2016

The Youtube Autoplay Rabbit Hole: a love story

There's all sorts of greatness in store with this week's selections. Including, but of course not limited to, the results of me falling down the sneaky yet inevitable Youtube Autoplay Rabbit Hole. This time, like most times, it has led to some really great things. So let's take a listen, shall we?

The First: Shot of Glory by The Washboard Union


It's brand spankin' new and it's great. But really, what else do you expect from these bearded gems? Literally nothing. Great is the only kind of music they know how to make.


The Second: Tread by Blackjack Billy


I realize that this is a different kind of country, but I took a hip hop class last night for the first time in like seven or eight years, and so a little bit of what I've now deemed to be "gangsta country" was kind of guaranteed today. Yes, I did just make up my own sub-category of country music. And I hate that I don't hate it. In fact, if I can get real with you guys for a minute, I really love the chorus of this song. Of course that's mostly because it's frustratingly catchy and I can't escape it. But isn't that what love is, after all?

No, it's not? Oh... whoops.


The Third and Final: The Right Ones by Chris Stapleton


So. Here's the truth, team. I originally intended to share a different song by Chris Stapleton called Parachute. Don't get me wrong, it's a great song. However, I then stumbled upon his cover of Josh Turner's Your Man, which he apparently co-wrote with good ole' Josh aka The Best Looking Guy in Country Music, and I got really excited about it because it's pretty great. But of course the Youtube Autoplay function had a whole other song in mind and led me to The Right One (was the title a coincidence? I think not) and I gotta say, Youtube Autoplay knew what it was doing. I mean, just listen to it. It. Is. So. GOOD! And then, as if that wasn't overwhelming enough, I then kind of fell down a bit of a Chris-Stapleton-singing-songs-he-wrote Rabbit Hole. It happens. And leads to amazing things.

And so, CMFers, I leave you in the very capable hands of Chris Stapleton and his entrancing and gravelly voice to lead you into the weekend.

Please, don't thank me. I'm no hero. I do it only because I care.


For all you Canadians out there, I hope you have an exceptional Victoria Day long weekend! As my boss told me when I accidentally tried to book a vacation day for Monday, the Queen has granted you this day off, so enjoy it!

Thanks for listening!
Karla

No comments:

Post a Comment