May 15, 2015

Happy Country Long Weekend

It's May Long Weekend*!

This week’s selections are made up of songs that I originally was not really into but that slowly carved a space for themselves onto my daily playlist. As per (seemingly) always, many of the music videos are kind of awful, but you’ll just have to trust me, listen to the music, and hope that the next gen of country artists hire better directors.


The First: Headphones by Jackie Lee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4l_Oq2w_oE

So this is the song that prevented me from sending out my original selections last week because it wasn’t on YouTube yet. Clearly Jackie knew I wanted to feature it in CMF and so he threw together this little lyric vid. Which, if I’m being honest, leaves a little to be desired… but I’m just thankful that I can at least share the song with all of you! I don’t know why I wasn’t into this song when I first heard it about a month ago, but I just wasn’t. And then JRfm started playing it so I could no longer hit “skip,” was forced to listen to it, and slowly came to really like it. I hope you will too.


The Second: On To Something Good by Ashley Munroe


I think I just thought this song was boring when I first listened to it. You may find the same. But then I noticed that whenever it was playing and got to the chorus, I kept thinking, “wait, what song is this?” and every time I flipped into Songza, I saw that it was this one. So I guess my brain was in subconscious need for a fake boring song that actually isn’t all that boring.


The Third and Final: Before You Drive Me Crazy by Wes Mack 


Right off the bat let me just tell you to start the video at 0:54. Unless you want a really good laugh, then you can go ahead and watch those first fifty-four seconds of ridiculousness.

Who knew Wes Mack could think of so many ways to play on the word drive? I sure didn’t but as it turns out I love it. I think the reason I didn’t like this song initially is, quite honestly, because I couldn’t get the lyrics straight. There were too many “drives”. And goodness knows that if I can’t belt out a song in the car, it won’t be a favourite of mine. But I eventually sorted out all the lyrics to this one and all is well now.

*Because it’s a long weekend, and long weekends are something to be celebrated, you get a bonus track! Wow, I felt a little like Oprah there. Also though, let’s be real, like I was going to let you go without sharing the new Zac Brown Band with you. We all know my everlasting love for them.

Long Weekend Bonus: Loving You Easy by the unbeatable Zac Brown Band


Thanks for listening and have a great long weekend!
Karla

No comments:

Post a Comment