May 29, 2015

Kind of a little bit Canadian today

It’s the happiest of all days because it’s FRIDAY!

[Insert some sort of witty remark here that makes you all fall moderately in love with my humour.]

The First: She’s With Me by High Valley


Top of the mountain all the way down, when I’m lost and when I’m found, lalalalalalalalala!! I added in that last part, I bet you didn’t even notice. Did you know these boys are from Alberta? Yep. They’re Canadian and wonderful! This one is a great Friday-afternoon-driving-home-from-work song, in my opinion. Since it’s conveniently Friday, you can try that little tidbit out on your drive tonight. Here is a bonus track from them, if you are so inclined: Make You Mine. From my very limited knowledge, I feel this bonus song has a little bit of a Mumford & Sons vibe… but you may feel free to correct me on that if you feel differently and/or have listened to more than one Mumford & Sons song.


The Second: Break Up With Him by Old Dominion


I’ve been listening to a lot of Old Dominion lately and am noticing that they are nothing if not consistent in their ability to produce tracks that become favourites of mine. Their song Dirt on a Road (listen to it. learn it. love it.) mayyy have been my Song Of The Summer last year, if only it didn’t include that awful voice over from the lady saying, “what I need is a man” that makes my eyes roll back so far that I get a headache every time. But then that chorus comes along and eases my pain. Break Up With Him is a new addition to my playlists, mostly because it makes me chuckle a little. I am also a big fan of the cadence of the song – I like that it’s a little unusual and unpredictable. Also, if we’re being real here: do we think that they are being entirely serious when one of the first words is “wassup”? No. They’re in on the joke. Anyways, stay tuned for more Old Dominion because, if these two songs haven’t convinced you of their hilarious charm, then at least I know that their album cover art will.

The Third and Final: Any Excuse by Bucko & Toad



Since I love bookends, as most of you know, I figured I would bookend this CMF with another Canadian selection: This husband and wife duo – Bucko & Toad – is from Victoria! So if any of you folks from Victoria have seen them live (they have played Gone Country and regularly at the Duke’s, it seems) then please accept my sincere jealousy.  I'm a fan of the female singer’s (Toad) voice, I like that it sounds a little different. Also, this video comes with a bonus: it’s not popular enough on YouTube yet so you won’t have to wait for any pesky ads before getting to the song. You’re welcome.

Thanks for listening!
Karla

No comments:

Post a Comment