October 16, 2015

A Cat Lady in Kenya

This past week in Kenya has been a wonderful whirlwind. We've met a lot of family, visited with friends, and took a mini trip out to the coast to a town called Mombasa for two nights. Also, jet lag is my nemesis. I have yet to sleep through the night because of it and on top of that I'm a very light sleeper, which really doesn't help. When I was younger, my little brother, Stevie used to sneak into my room in the morning to try and scare me awake (what an angel, right?). I always knew he was there though and, with my eyes closed, would greet him as he was halfway to my bed with a "Good morning, Steve." He hated this because it messed with his life goal of being the stereotypical pestering brother not unlike Shia Labeouf in the Family Channel Original Series, Even Stevens. (I love you, Stevie!)

Back to the trip. So far, I have befriended no less than six cats that have found me along our travels. This is important because it means that if I wanted to move to Kenya in the future, I wouldn't have to give up my life-long dream (aka the inevitable) of being a crazy cat lady.

You can see three photos of our trip so far at the end, but I'll tell you what they are now. One is from lunch on our first day in Nairobi, a picture of one of my many new cat besties (I named him George and he was the only one I loved enough to take a picture of), and the last one is of a coconut backdropped by the Indian Ocean. Because, where we were staying in Mombasa, if you wanted a coconut, all you had to do was go talk to one of the gardeners at the resort and they would climb a palm tree and get you one. What?? Yes.

I have no idea what's new in country music this week, but here are a few songs that are relatively recent and I was enjoying before I left. (All I've listened to since I left Vancouver is whatever was on my iPod that I last updated approximately three years ago. #throwbackfriday?)


The First: Crushin' It by Brad Paisley


This song reminds me of my friend Kali. Not because she is incapable of being a contributing member of society like Brad Paisley narrates himself to be in this song (because let me tell you, she's a rockstar who could probably build a spaceship, fly to Mars, find the life-sustaining water NASA's been searching for and save the earth if she wanted to - that's the kind of human being she is.) No. This song reminds me of Kali because she uses the term"crush/in' it" literally every day.


The Second: Painkiller by Little Big Town


This is a public service announcement that the LBT concert in Abbotsford is basically a month away and if you don't have tickets you should get some. I have no idea if there are any left because I haven't been listening to the radio this past week, but I'm sure you could manage a quick google search. This song is great.


The Third and Final: Hole in the Bottle by Canaan Smith


Have I ever introduced you to my friend Canaan? No? That's because I've been hiding him from you because I was being selfish. But I've decided that's no way to live so here you go. Enjoy your Friday!






Thanks for listening,
Karla

No comments:

Post a Comment