July 18, 2016

Artist of the Week: Miranda Lambert

Welcome to a new addition here on CMF, which I shall tentatively name Artist of the Week. The Artist of the Week series will go up once a week - on Mondays - as a way to explore some artists a bit more closely.

Artist of the Week does not currently live on e-newsletter form as well, though perhaps one day it will. For now you'll just have to visit the blog directly. My apologies to you and your likely now broken heart. (But you can still subscribe to CMF, if you aren't already, by clicking that handy button to the right ->).
_____

We're starting off with none other than Miranda Lambert or today's Queen of Country, as I like to call her.

The Texas native has had success with not only her solo career, but also with her trio, The Pistol Annies. The first song I ever heard from her was back in 2007 when I was visiting my friend Melissa for a weekend and we listened to Kerosene on repeat for three days. When I got back home on Sunday night the first thing I did was load up my iPod with as much Miranda as I could find and had those songs memorized within a day or two.

I've said it before, but I love Miranda because she is more badass than I could ever dream to be and few people own the stage like she does. She can be rock and roll and quickly turn back to her acoustic roots, all the while walking the line of "sweet southern girl next door who has also single-handedly wrangled a bull or two."

The First: Famous In A Small Town


I think this was the song I really latched onto after my weekend of singing Kerosene ad nauseam. I may or may not have loved it so much that I recorded myself singing along to a karaoke version of it with the thickest twang I could muster. And yes, I did learn that I shouldn't try to force a country twang like that upon listening to the playback of said recording.
And also yes, I did delete that recording immediately.
You're welcome, world.


The Second: Over You


Get ready for heartbreak. I actually can't sing this song without accompanying myself on the guitar; it's too sad and I get choked up unless I'm focusing on something else like needing to strum the right chords. Miranda and Blake co-wrote this song in memory of his late brother and I think it's the most hauntingly beautiful song she's ever performed - especially this time.


The Third and Final: Platinum



This song took a few listens to get used to, but it's a win overall. Perfectly sassy, just like Miss. Lambert.

Finally, if you're looking for a few other Miranda tunes, I would recommend Kerosene (obviously) and We Were Us which she performed with Keith Urban, both of which have been featured here before so the videos aren't being posted again.

Hope you like this new addition, and if you have any artists you're dying for me to feature, I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks for listening,
Karla

No comments:

Post a Comment