July 8, 2016

Sometimes we TSwift it

Once in a while country artists get a little pop-y. Usually I try to avoid songs that blur that genre line, but this week I've chosen to overlook the boundary lines and just go with it. Now, I'm not talking about artists who outrightly crossed the border and burn their passports without looking back like Taylor Swift did (still love her, tbh). For the record all these artists are still country, but some of these selections just happen to be a little more Red than Our Song, if you know what I mean.


The First: Saltwater Gospel by Eli Young Band


What have these boys been up to lately? Apparently working on some new stuff like this salty gem. I think the steady power of the drums is what gets me most.


The Second: War Paint by Madeline Merlo


I like this song. What are your thoughts on it?
Additionally, what are your thoughts on her lip syncing only some of the words in the music video? What about the attempts to oversell those aforementioned words with a bounty of emotion and over-exaggerated facial reactions? And let's not forget about the profuse head shaking, à la Shania in Party for TwoBecause on those fronts I'm a little torn.
Still super into the song though (and also the "unplugged" version).


The Third and Final: Song For Another Time by Old Dominion


Old Dominion is still one of my favourite obsessions of 2015. So much so that they've remained an obsession into this calendar year. These boys will apparently be performing just over the Canada/US border (with the likes of Kenny Chesney, Miranda Lambert, and Sam Hunt... like... what?!) and that makes me sad. Come over to Vancouver, guys! It's fun here too!
I love the references to other songs within this one. Very inception-y. At least I think it is... I still haven't seen the film.


Thanks for listening!
Karla

No comments:

Post a Comment