February 26, 2016

Take Me Back

I feel like we're in that sad little gap in between fall album releases and summer singles blowing up the radio. Aka unfortunately we're in a bit of a new country dry spell, if you ask me.

So you know what we're doing this week? We're throwing it back. I realize this is Country Music Friday and not Throwback Thursday, but flexibility is a virtue people. So this week I give you not just oldies and goodies, but oldies and goodies that talk about the good old times. Ooooooh. Inception. (< a movie I still have yet to see because I simply don't have the energy to deal with it).

The First: Mayberry by Rascal Flatts


I love this song. It has always been one of my favourite Rascal Flatts songs, which I think says a lot since I am a fan of nearly all of the many, many songs they've released over the years. I think part of the reason I love Mayberry so much is because:

a) It totally reminds me of growing up in a small town where passing someone on the sidewalk and not smiling and saying hello was pretty close to being an offence worthy of jail time. It just wasn't a thing that happened. So much so that when I first moved to university it took me about a month and a half to figure out that this was why I was getting so many strange/confused looks on campus. I was that weird girl walking around smiling and making eye contact with everyone.

b) It launches me into a world that exists in my daydreams in which I own a cute little yellow house with a massive front porch that I hang out on in the warm evenings with some really funny and good-looking man.

As a bonus with this one, you get to enjoy a now vintage photo slideshow of the Rascals while listening to the song.


The Second: 19 Somethin' by Mark Wills


Please enjoy the pre-Instagram filters, all the weird facial expressions, and of course, that goatee.


The Third and Final: Automatic by Miranda Lambert


The newest of the oldies, I thought it was only appropriate to also include this hit from Miranda. The only thing that concerns me is the unsafe amount of time she spends staring out the driver's side window - instead of at the road in front of her - while driving. Equally excellent throwback song from Miranda is her duet with Keith Urban, We Were Us.


As much as I love all these songs, here's hoping there's an infusion of new songs soon! Perhaps that's what each of you can work on this weekend: writing and producing the next country hit. You know, if you don't already have plans that is. Just a thought for your consideration...

Thanks for listening!
Karla

No comments:

Post a Comment