June 24, 2016

Knock, knock.

Who's there?
No one, I just needed some sort of horrible transition to remind you of how great the start of this song is because it's still one of my all time favourites.

... No one, who?
Never mind. Let's just move on to this week's songs, shall we?

The First: Rather Make A Living by Steve Moakler


I heard about Steve Moakler yesterday while listening to the radio (they were talking about his current single, Suitcaseand I was intrigued enough to do some digging. I think he's kind of reinvented himself in recent years and changed up his sound to be more country. Surprise, surprise: he does it well. I like several of his songs, as it turns out, but this one specifically caught my ear. Listen to my friend Steve and don't let this be you.


The Second: Grinnin' by Drake White


This song was a recommendation from a fellow country music appreciator, Jordan. You should know that he is arguably more of a country music fan than I am... so you just know that this is a good pick. I think my favourite part of this song is when he scats and just kinda takes the song where he wants it to go in the moment. Like, 4:25 onwards is just perfection. Basically what I'm saying is that it's a great acoustic performance and has anyone made progress on that whole time machine thing because I'd love to go back and be in that audience. I'd also use it to stock up on more adorable stationary and throw pillows (you can never have too many) while Target Canada still existed, but I suppose that's neither here nor there.


The Third and Final: Cover Me Up by Jason Isbell


I don't think I've shared any Jason Isbell on here yet, so it must be about time. Like all these guys, he's got lots of great songs I could feature but I think this one effectively captures the gravellyness (...it's a word) of his voice and the way he sings emphasis on certain words really well.


Here's to a Friday that flies by! I'm personally looking forward to welcoming the sunshine back for a fun weekend and short work week! Hope you all have exciting things planned and if you're a Vancouverite hitting up Greek Day, perhaps I'll see you there ;)

Thanks for listening!
Karla

No comments:

Post a Comment