August 15, 2016

Artist of the Week: Little Big Town

Good morning and happy Monday!

We've heard a lot from Little Big Town around here. But apparently not enough. Because we're going to hear from them a little bit more today.

These four have been together for nearly twenty years. Twenty years of making sweet, sweet music together. For us. Like selfless southern wonders. Gosh they're great.

These impeccable harmonies come from Alabama, so I just feel like when they sing about sitting on their front porch or dancing on a pontoon, they're really speaking from experience. They've got some clout. Some credibility. Experience, even. Basically all the things this West Coast girl with a country music blog doesn't have.


The First: Little White Church


What's not to love here? We're taken down a scenic route. There's revenge. We've got clapping. They talk about chicken and gravy. It's got it all. Plus when they're strutting down that dirt road don't they just like the coolest cats around? I just want to join them and be their fifth. I can't harmonize to save my life but I could probably hold my own with a nice tambourine.


The Second: Quit Breaking Up With Me


I can't really tell you why I like this song, but I really, really do. I think it's funny and different than their normal sound and all around entertaining. It's a real great time. It's also an easy song to sing along to because the thing is that you don't have to sound good vocally to still sound good. It's just a lot of stuttering at the end of every other line.
Turns out I can tell you why I like this song after all.


The Third and Final: Girl Crush




Since I haven't gushed quite enough about their harmonies yet, let's do that now shall we? Because they are just so technically correct in their vocal collaborations that it's astounding. When I first heard this song I think I listened to approximately twenty seconds and was all "meh" and then it came on again and I listened to the whole thing and was amazed. The concept of the song and the writing and this particular performance. I love it all. Oh, and the harmonies... who would have guessed.


And of course I would be remiss if I didn't give a shoutout to Sober, my all-time favourite LBT song. So beautiful.

Thanks for listening!
Karla

No comments:

Post a Comment