August 1, 2016

Artist of the Week: Sugarland

Ohhhhh Sugarland. Where do I even begin?

Well at the beginning, I guess. Sugarland was originally brought together in 2002 by Kristen Hall and Kristian Bush who hired on Jennifer Nettles for their lead vocals. In 2006 Kristen Hall left the band (which later resulted in some draaamaaaa and a lawsuit), which left Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush as a duet. The two of them co-write the majority of their songs and saw a lot of success in the 2000s

We haven't had much new music from them in recent years because in 2012 they went on hiatus after Jennifer had her son. They've both released some solo stuff since (but I still think they did better work when they were a team... sigh).

The First: Baby Girl


I'm just going to go ahead and say it: I think this is my favourite Sugarland song. I could probably say that about every Sugarland song, but I think this one is just the tiniest smidge higher than the others. We're only talking a fraction of a millimetre (on an imaginary scale), but I think it's still enough that it's noticeable. This was Sugarland's first single and Kristen Hall is on the track and in the music video since she was still a part of the band at this point.


The Second: Settlin'


Looking for some motivation to make a change? This is the song for you. I promise that there's some good stuff in there if you ignore Jennifer's Shania-Twain-circa-2004-esque dance moves (I'm thinking Party for Two) and listen to the lyrics instead.


The Third and Final: It Happens


I like to think that Sugarland has a sense of humour and that it sometimes comes out in their music (see Stuck Like Glue, for another example). This song is one of those times when I can't help but think that I would probably enjoy myself if someone twisted my arm and told me that I had to hang out with them for an afternoon. (But seriously guys... when are we hanging out?)

Finally, as a sort of bonus, I want to tell you about Trailer Hitch which was Kristian's debut solo number and I think it's a great demonstration of proving that (even though I think they sound better together) they both have the promise of a solo career.

Thanks for listening!
Karla

No comments:

Post a Comment