July 24, 2015

Love, circa 1999

In honour of the upcoming nuptials of my incredible friends, Tiffany and Kanaiya, I would like to dedicate this week’s CMF to them and how gosh darn adorable they are together. All the time.

SO. In order to do so, I thought I’d take you back to my 11-year-old self and the country love songs I was listening to back when I still hoped to become a country music star. This was, of course, before my dad let me use his audio recording devices and I fatefully learned what I actually sounded like. We can all give a big thank you to my father for saving us many years of torture and instead speeding up that dream’s inevitable demise. Regardless, these were the years that young Karla-Christina couldn’t get enough of Jessica Andrews, Shania Twain, and their contemporaries.

Let’s take a walk down memory lane together, shall we?

The First: I Love You by Martina McBride


Classic. Even if you weren’t (this is me assuming that by now I’ve converted all the non-country lovers who receive CMF) a country music lover in the very late 90s, I am still confident that you have heard this song. This is because it is great. Also, who doesn’t love a green screen in music videos?
Awkward moment alert: I just realized that Martina’s first outfit is eerily similar to the one I have chosen for the wedding next week... I don’t know if this makes me happy or very, very upset.


The Second: This Kiss by Faith Hill


We’ve all also heard this song. But have we all watched the James and the Giant Peach/Thumbelina-inspired music video? I assume not. So for all those out there desperately waiting for someone to give you permission to do so, please take this as your official invitation to allow it to permeate your life. I bet you a dollar that this video is what swept Mr. Tim McGraw off his feet all those years ago.


The Third and Final: When I Think About Angels by Jamie O’Neal


Up until my very intense research for this week’s CMF (as per usual, research = copious amounts of browsing the Youtube), I always thought this song was titled “When I Think About Rain.” I’m actually quite upset that it’s not. I don’t want to talk about it.
Instead, I’ll talk about her glorious GOLD lipstick. Because… what? That was allowed? I tell you, they had way more fun with their makeup 15 years ago. Tiff – any interest in trying out this look on your wedding day? No? You want me to stop making jokes that freak you out? Sorry, can’t do that; it’s part of my charm.
  
Thanks for listening!
Karla


Find me and the CMF playlist on Spotify @karcarr8.

No comments:

Post a Comment