June 3, 2016

Tough Love

I am blessed with some really wonderful friends. Friends who are supportive and generous and make me laugh erryday. One of the things that I love about my friends is that they tell me what they really think and the really close ones don't even feel the need to edit their thoughts/streams of consciousness before delivering them to me. Which as you might imagine, can sometimes turn into a sort of tough love approach.

I'll share an example:
My really lovely and super gentle friend Kali recently found out that online CMF playlists are a thing. Kali's immediate reaction, of course, was to tell me that she "would punch me in the throat" if I didn't share the following links/reminders with everyone this week... so in case you are like Kali and didn't know, you can listen to past CMF selections on Youtube and on Spotify. Apparently she felt it was her duty to ensure everyone else was appropriately informed.

I'll leave the "Thank you" flower orders and fruit basket arrangements to all of you.


The First: Rock On by Tucker Beathard


If you're not a fan of country twang, you may not love Tucker. In fact, I've actually been in an argument with myself for the past few weeks about whether Tucker's voice is even considered twang at all, or if it's in an entire category all on its own. Jury's still out, to be honest. But whatever the verdict, this song is clever and I dig it. The video, of course, is meh.


The Second: I'm The Rule by Kelsea Ballerini


I intended to feature Peter Pan but the video started with a silly little monologue (which we know I hate - it's not a movie, it's a music video people) and I could almost overlook it but then she was wearing a very flowy Carrie Underwoodesque jumpsuit thing with unnecessarily long bits of fabric blowing in the artificial wind and I just couldn't do it. So instead I picked this one partially because it's catchy, but mostly because she hasn't yet made an awful music video out of it yet.


The Third and Final: Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under by the incomparable Shania Twain


This song is a shout out to my good friend Lawrence because it's his favourite country song. Apparently as a child this song was played in the car by his friend's mom on the way to school enough that it stuck. Back when we used to live in the same city, Lawrence and I would sing this song in the car with slightly altered lyrics. Ahh the memories. Now I just send him snapchats of me lip-syncing it whenever it comes on. Our other car song is Forget You by CeeLo Green and he always rolls his eyes when I try to put it on as if he doesn't like it even though I know he secretly loves our sing-a-longs. (You're not fooling me, Lawrence). Also, this video could not be more classic Shania.


Enjoy your weekend, CMFers! I have no plans and could not be more delighted at the prospect of sleeping in and then doing nothing unless I feel like it for two full days.

Thanks for listening!
Karla

No comments:

Post a Comment