September 23, 2016

The Dog Ate My Homework

In my never-ending search for a post title, John suggested that I title this "I had no help making this title." As uninspired as that is (I mean, he tries) it made me think about the weird things teachers must hear from children throughout the year when submitting their homework. And then it led me to remember that for about two weeks of my life when I was in grade 4 I had decided that I would be a poet. Here, I will regale you with an excerpt (aka what I can remember) from one of my many non-prize-winning works:

The Dog Ate My Homework by Karla Carreras
The dog ate my homework. I swear, it's true.
He gobbled it up, two by two.

And that's all I can remember. In case it's unclear, I no longer write poetry.


The First: Forever Country by Artists of Then, Now and Forever (aka... just... everyone)


Unless you haven't been on Facebook this week, you probably knew this was coming. Now, I get that the CGI at the end could probably use some touching up, but the song is epic regardless. It's simply a wonderful celebration of music.

On Sunday nights a few of my friends and I have dinner together which typically leads into a bit of a jam session. We try out new songs each week, but we also have a list of "standards" that we tend to come back to week after week. One of those standards is Country Roads and I love singing it. First off, it's just a fun song to sing with other voices because you can (attempt to) harmonize to it really nicely. But in addition to that, it was also a song my mum loved. The first time I heard it we were watching some movie and it started playing in the background. She gasped (out of excitement) and then immediately started singing along to it. It wasn't too long until I knew all the words myself. And I just think she would really love to sing along with this medley too.


The Second: Bush Party by Dean Brody


Once in a while we need to just not take ourselves too seriously, you know? And I think Dean Brody really embodies this philosophy in both this song and in this music video. There are some genuine eye-rolling bits, but I think he's kinda going for that. Like he's in on the joke. I don't know how else to describe it. Just watch.


The Third and Final: Kill A Word by Eric Church


Wordplay. Catchy chorus. Eric Church.
What's not to love?


I plan on spending my weekend recovering from a cold (cold meds = magic), perhaps doing some fall things, and watching movies. Big plans, I know.


Thanks for listening!
Karla

No comments:

Post a Comment