March 9, 2018

'Tis The Season

... for new country music, apparently!

I definitely find that there's a few annual lulls with this genre and January/February is certainly one of them. But then the beginnings of spring start sneaking in and it's basically Country Music's cotillion. A warm up to their busy season: Summer. And I, for one, am looking forward to hearing all about it.


The First: Missing One by Jameson Rodgers


Y'all know my thing for wordplay (and clapping... though there ain't no clapping in this one. Unfortunately. 😒 ) and this song has it down. And it's not just the wordplay, even though that would be enough. When the band falls in after the first verse it's just... so good. So good that I actually said "oh no this is so good" out loud the first time I heard it. To myself, alone in my apartment. So you know that's high praise.


The Second: Space Cowboy by Kacey Musgraves


Her timing is impeccable. I was just thinking a few weeks ago about how I needed we all needed some more Kacey in our lives and here she is poppin' up outta nowhere to deliver. Again, we've got more clever wordplay here, mixed with Kacey's easy voice, so it's a win-win-win. (That third win is because the song title just makes me want to re-watch Firefly, and that's an easy gold star in my books.)


The Third and Final: I Was Jack (You Were Diane) by Jake Owen


We all knew this was coming and honestly it's about dang time. I don't think I've really loved a Jake Owen song since his first single. Seven years ago. Aka pre-CMF.
Yikes.
I guess I just don't get the whole "talking and pretending to kinda walk the line between singing and maybe rapping(?) but really I'm not doing either" thing that he does. But I'll put up with it here because the rest of the song is good and super duper catchy.
Yes, that's right: super duper.


It's been a long week so this weekend really can't come fast enough. Just think: there's just 8 hours of work between you and a glass of wine and a few days off.
Best of luck to all of us as we deal with Daylight Savings Time this weekend. And with that comes my annual reminder to stay safe on the roads on Monday. Sleep deprivation is a thing, people. Drink that extra cup of coffee.

Thanks for listening!
Karla

No comments:

Post a Comment